Date: Feb 19, 2021
Location: Barrie, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
41497 – Barrie – Rotation – 12 Months
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Reporting to the Commercial Agreements Manager – the Joint Use Programs Engineer/Officer will be part of the team responsible leading and managing the Hydro One Joint Use Program. Provide technical advice, direction and related support to the ADET population, Senior Lines Technical Officers, Operation Managers and joint use business support clerk on problems, processes, technical specification and requirements around Joint use. Provide technical advice and interpretation relating to negotiated Joint Use agreements. Develop, negotiate and execute new agreements. Train the new hire ADET population in all aspects of the Joint Use program.
- Provide technical advice, direction and related support to the ADET population, Senior Lines Technical Officers, Operation Managers and joint use business support clerk on problems, processes, technical specifications and requirements around Joint use agreements.
- Participate in joint use assessments and other technical/business studies to determine distribution customer needs covering a broad geographic area; develop alternatives and preferred solutions and facilitate delivery of solutions through service providers.
- Collaborate on design estimates and technical specifications around joint-use to support work services which may become controversial because of the conflicting interests of the different groups and require exercising tact and diplomacy in endeavoring to reach understanding and agreement.
- Recommend and participate in researching and developing programs that should be undertaken to improve performance and recognize areas of joint use requiring further study and requiring action.
- Monitor and control joint use programs and other projects during the execution phase. Coordinate activities with Service Providers and stakeholders
- Maintain an awareness and understanding of current Joint Use policies and procedure changes and provide direction to the ADET population, Senior Lines Technical Officers and Operation Managers.
- Negotiate with Service Provider and customers and provide recommendations to resolve joint use issues.
- Lead the development, definition and preparation of programs, processes, technical/operational/business standards, procedures or methods, including audits and quality assurance, related to the management of joint use. Provide guidance and work with other interested groups in the implementation of recommendations.
- Participate as a representative of the Company with Joint Use Companies, etc., in endeavours to advance the corporate interests. Represent the unit on discussion and negotiation with customers, stakeholders. Work with other internal work groups and business units.
- Prepare responses or news bulletins to Hydro One Inc. joint use partners or Hydro One field staff on issues related to joint use.
- Provide advice to joint use escalated inquiries/complaints relative to agreements, new joint use, upgrades to existing joint use and normal applications for joint use etc. in accordance with agreements, policies, procedures and practices. Prepare informational bulletins/brochures, as required.
- Assist in developing and executing new joint use agreements and audit processes at the work center level and recommend changes and improvements to existing agreements for future negotiations.
- Provide training to joint use partners, Networks field staff and new hires with regards to all joint use agreements and Joint use permit data base, providing advice and guidance and the checking of work.
- Provide direction to the ADET population, Provincial Lines Senior technical officers and Operation Managers and other business units and maintain a high awareness and understanding of joint use policy and procedure changes
- Run reports using the Consolidated Joint Use data base to verify compliance with respect to Regulation 22.04 and 3rd party attachments. Analyze reports and issue work to Provincial lines with respect to field verification.
- Assist Manager in working with joint use partners, such as, Bell, Bell Aliant, LDC’s, Cable and Fibre, municipalities, Generators, MTO, municipal road authorities and Telephone companies in the province.
- Work with various organizations to study and discuss Joint Use operations in an attempt to develop mutually satisfactory solutions and recommendations on techniques and methods of operation.
- Provide preliminary analysis on statistical reports, as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Requires a knowledge of electrical theory, power systems, mathematics, computer science, economics related to operational requirements of the electrical power system.
- Requires knowledge of computer technology to utilize various software applications for the preparation of various technical reports.
- Requires a good knowledge of English to communicate the effectively with internal and external contacts and in the preparation of presentations. This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired in and equivalent to a four-year university education in an appropriate field such as electrical engineering.
- Requires experience with the electrical power pole system operational requirements, policies, practices and procedures governing distribution/information assets.
- Requires experience related to joint use, field line design, Inter Business unit coordination, CSA Distribution code and operation and maintenance of distribution assets.
- Requires experience with computer software, line design, processes around Joint Use activities.
- Requires utility experience to be familiar with the operation and maintenance of power poles when dealing with Provincial lines and Joint Use partners.
- Requires experience to be familiar with the development and organization of provincial lines and processes they use such as scheduling.
- Requires experience with dealing with outside parties, internally with Law Division, Regulatory and other business units. A period of over 8 years and up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected]. Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: March 1, 2021
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.