Date: Sep 13, 2021
Location: Waterloo, CA
Company: Wilfrid Laurier University
Department: Facilities and Asset Management
Job Type: Limited Term
Employee Group: CUPE
Application Deadline: September 17, 2021
Requisition ID: 2642
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading Canadian university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion and indigeneity, Laurier’s thriving community has a place for everyone.
All Laurier employees and students are required to comply with the University’s Covid-19 mandatory vaccination policy. Prior to attending Laurier’s campuses in-person, you must provide proof of your vaccination status. If you are not fully vaccinated and do not have an approved exemption based on medical/disability or religious beliefs/creed grounds, you will be expected to receive your second dose of the vaccine by no later than October 8, 2021. Prior to becoming fully vaccinated, you will be required to participate in and comply with the University’s rapid testing program and follow all recommended additional health and safety protocols. Details about the mandatory vaccination requirements can be found on Laurier’s website at https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2021/aug/laurier-to-require-proof-of-vaccination-next-steps-for-students-and-employees.html.
As an employer, we seek, foster and value the same qualities of leadership and purpose in our employee community. We currently have an opportunity to join the Laurier community as a Lead Hand -Custodian (Nights).
The hours of work are Sunday to Thursday from 10:00pm to 6:00am. The location of work is all Academic areas as assigned.
Reporting to the Manager, Custodial Services under the direction of the Area Manager, Custodial Services, the incumbent will perform a variety of duties related to the cleaning and upkeep of the University’s buildings and fixtures. There is a requirement for a responsive, customer focused approach to ensure facilities are maintained at optimum levels..
- Trains, inspects and directs an assigned group of custodians, including the early intervention of attendance and performance management up to but not including discipline
- Responsible for monitoring employee performance and referring performance issues to their Manager
- Coordinates the distribution, authorization and record keeping of sick leave, vacation and other leaves
- Responsible for the scheduling of overtime and record keeping
- Coordinates the completion, confirmation and submission of custodial timesheets
- Participates in the upkeep and maintenance of the Quality Assurance System
- Updates and utilizes the Quality Assurance System to manage customer expectations, monitor productivity and schedule work
- Coordinates and assigns work to custodians ensuring equitable distribution & attention to schedules
- Ensures timely & accurate completion of tasks and proactively plans for future projects
- Coordinates with outside service providers and other bodies/agencies with which the University deals
- Initiates the services of contractors and ensures they are fulfilling their contractual obligations
- Ensures that they and their assigned custodial group are fully trained and in compliance with departmental policies, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other relevant legislation
- Provides assistance in troubleshooting and assists in the training of new custodians
- Coordinates activities (cleaning, room preparation…) as they relate to conference/hotel operations and special events
- Works with other custodial and trade leadhands to coordinate custodial cleaning/maintenance schedules
- Accountable for submitting accident/incident reports and responding to health and safety concerns
- Completes reports and documentation as required
- Must comply with all Departmental Policies & Procedures
- Prepares any reports required for control, audit or reporting purposes
- Contributes and participates in the effective use of the Quality Control System;
- Cleans, dusts and mops using either a wet or dry mop. Strips, waxes and polishes floors. Cleans walls, windows, furniture, washrooms (including showers and fixtures) in assigned areas;
- Empties waste containers and recycling bins. Removes waste from building to outside containers;
- Cleans and vacuums carpets and removes garbage from floors and fixtures. This may include the use of heavy carpet cleaning equipment;
- Performs heavy work such as: snow shovelling around entrance ways, unloading and transferring of supplies and equipment, moving and re-arranging furniture and equipment (to a max of 50lbs);
- Maintenance of light bulbs and fluorescent tubes. This may involve working on ladders;
- Unlocking classroom doors, rearranging furniture and cleaning chalkboards/whiteboards as required;
- Carries out custodial duties related to conference and hotel operations;
- Ensures equipment is maintained at an optimum level by operating it safely and reporting all required repairs immediately;
- Requests supplies in a timely manner to ensure adequate levels are maintained at all times;
- Reports infractions of regulations and policies to the manager. Examples are non-compliance with the fire code, environmental health and safety policies and student behaviour which may lead to accidents or injury;
- Understanding of and compliance with procedures relating to infection control and effective cleaning methods;
- The safe handling of chemicals to avoid either personal injury, exposure to others or damage to equipment;
- Performs minor repairs and other duties as required;
- Understands and complies with all Departmental Policies and Procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated and successful performance in a recognized leadership role
- Demonstrated initiative in the development of supervisory skills, time management skills, customer service skills and problem solving skills is an asset
- Completion of a recognized Leadership training program (such as OMD-Leadership Skills)
- Proven and proactive organization skills
- Knowledgeable and skilled in all work performed by the custodians
- A general knowledge of the duties of his/her manager
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, Corel Suite, Quality Control Systems, e-mail etc. Knowledge of the safe use of chemicals and products
- Knowledge and regular training in WHMIS and applicable safety legislation
Demonstrates Competencies in the Following Areas:
- Develops effective working relationships. Motivates & leads by example. Communicates with custodians to ensure they have a clear understanding of their responsibilities and the consequences of unsatisfactory performance and/or behaviour.
- Ability to work in a team environment with a minimum of supervision. Shares information with custodians. Is collaborative in dealing with customers and fellow employees
- Customer focused- responds promptly to customer needs. Uses customer information to improve service. Establishes & maintains effective relationships with customers
- Receptive to change- can adapt to changing circumstances. Makes suggestions for improvement. Is proactive in ensuring that job knowledge is current
- Respects diversity- treats others with respect. Is understanding of individuals’ special needs and the requirement to accommodate. Avoids unnecessary conflict.
- Managing self-exhibits a strong sense of own capabilities. Demonstrates honesty, integrity and ethical conduct. Accepts ownership and accountability for own actions.
- Effectively communicates with co-workers, employees and customers
- Physical effort: non-continuous use of power equipment such as vacuum cleaners. Moderate to heavy lifting. Reaching, bending, stretching;
- Physical environment: Varying temperatures, exposure to fumes, cleaning fluids, dirt, dust and waste products;
- Sensory attention: Reading labels and instructions. Operating equipment;
- Biohazard cleanup; completion of reports, computer operation
- Mental stress: Repetition of duties, coaching, conflict and conflict resolution.
Rate of Pay: $26.79/hour + $1.10/hour shift premium.
Salary Notes : This is a full-time, temporary position until April 2022