Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become financially better off.
A Best Workplace
Scotiabank is a premier financial institution and Canada’s most international bank recognized as a Best Workplace®, in Canada, Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, Peru, Chile and Latin America by the Great Place to Work® Institute.
A multinational winning team
Scotiabank is Canada’s international bank and a leading financial services provider in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America, and parts of Asia. We are dedicated to helping our 21 million customers become better off through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management, corporate and investment banking.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Scotiabank helps to build bright futures worldwide through ethical banking practices, environmental awareness and a commitment to communities.
The Manager, Accounting Policies and Procedures (APP) is responsible for researching, developing and implementing accounting policies and practices for the Bank in alignment with IFRS accounting standards (existing, newly issued and proposed to be issued). The Manager, APP will also provide advice and counsel on proposed transactions (acquisitions/divestitures accounting analysis of complex transactions) to ensure compliance with IFRS.
* Responsible for assessing the appropriate accounting policies on significant transactions that the Bank may undertake.
* Ensure the Bank is aware of and appropriately prepared to manage the impact of new and emerging IFRS accounting standards and their interpretations. The incumbent will help direct implementation of these new accounting standards, research issues with respect to specific strategies/transactions and provide alternatives and recommendations on compliance. This will also include ensuring that the required system and process changes are implemented by the appropriate departments across the Bank.
* He/she is expected to identify and research issues, consider areas of flexibility and make recommendations that coincide with the Bank’s objectives.
* Interact with other departments including internal audit, subsidiaries accounting, external parties [e.g. Auditors, peer Banks] to communicate and establish respective roles and responsibilities in implementing the requirements of these new accounting standards.
* He/she is accountable for the processes for compilation of certain quarterly and annual note disclosure requirements in a timely and accurate manner.
* Ensure that Senior Management are kept up-to-date on the specific accounting implications.
* Review and provide recommendations on the appropriate accounting for proposed transactions and new standards.
* Document summaries of the relevant transaction terms, accounting alternatives, and basis for recommendations. Due to the time sensitive nature of these pending transactions, the incumbent is expected to provide timely turnaround of these analyses.
* Prepare presentations to all Finance stakeholders and training materials on IFRS topics.
* Outstanding communication skills, written and oral, with specific emphasis on the ability to document complex issues in a clear and concise format.
* Possess the ability to work effectively as a business partner across the Bank.
* Remain flexible to respond to adhoc requests in a timely manner.
* Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
* Strong MS Excel, Word and Powerpoint skills.
* Team player and ability to collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders.
* A Canadian CPA, CA designation with thorough knowledge of IFRS accounting standards.
* Exposure to complex accounting issues specific to financial institutions with financial instruments experience a definite asset.
Scotiabank is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE