40032 – Toronto – Regular – Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Through collateral relationships with respect to the Director, Corporate Communications and within approved corporate strategies, provide the following:
- Lead the delivery of internal communications as part of the Corporate Communications team to deliver internal communications regarding Hydro One involvement in community outreach programs and charitable programs.
- Manage the development and execution of multiple internal communication strategies and programs in support of Hydro One’s corporate goals and Core Values.
- Manage and supervise staff engaged in the delivery of internal communication programs and projects.
- Plan, schedule, organize and assign work to ensure that quality and accuracy of work are maintained and on schedule.
- Provide detailed strategic internal communications advice and operational support to People and Culture and other departments by leading a variety of communication programs and initiatives.
- Ensure availability of appropriate resources for the completion of communication programs. Ensure scope and policy changes, new work methods and program/project objectives are effectively introduced to staff.
- Develop, promote and maintain internal communication policies and strategies related to Hydro One standards for all communication activities, events and products.
- Manage communications activities including the development of the employee communications strategy that takes a holistic approach and supports People and Culture, Executive Office across a broad range of platforms and activities.
- Implement broad initiatives to improve internal and external communication for lines of business including Lines and Forestry, Customer Operations, Occupational Health and Safety, Sponsorship, People and Culture.
- Provide support to various lines of business by providing internal communications advice and support to ensure programs meet their communication goals and to ensure that program messaging and product image is clear, professional and consistent for Hydro One customers and stakeholders.
- Contribute to the design and development of policies, strategies, standards and integrated plans for communication programs.
- Provide communications, planning and support services to Business Units to enable communication related process redesign and the improvement and the implementation of business change programs.
- Carry out statistical analysis and provide reports and data for corporate purposes, as required.
- Perform analysis and measure internal communication performance data to ensure that communications activities are effective and targeted.
- Manage project budgets and maximize the impact of each communication dollar by negotiating best rates. Supervise agencies, outside suppliers and employees to deliver all projects on time, on spec and on budget.
- Work with external companies and consultants to monitor their operations and persuade them to change their methods and procedures and comply with all legal and communication requirements to one suitable to Company needs.
- Develop and execute communications and programs that will increase employee engagement.
Manage the unit and achieve the approved programs and targeted results through:
- Maintaining a team who n capable of producing the outputs required:
- Ensure subordinates are able and willing to produce the desired output, and that reporting managers continually improve the processes for achieving the outputs
- Assess staff capability to do the required work, now and in the future
- Conduct personal effectiveness reviews of subordinates managers/specialists to build relationships and trust, and to improve effectiveness
- Mentor and counsel subordinates-once-removed
- Develop and manage a multi-faceted Community Investment strategy that is aligned with corporate and brand strategy.
- Lead a cross-functional team to ensure Hydro One fulfills its obligations to maintain the Canadian Electricity Association (CEA) Sustainable Electricity Company designation.
- Identify and coordinate efforts to promote volunteerism among employees and pensioners such that Hydro One is understood to be an active and community involved company.
- Coordinate the review and responses to employee-generated Citizenship proposals.
- Help develop and deliver key community citizenship positions and messages for internal and external stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Respond in a timely and accurate manner to Community Citizenship inquiries via the appropriate messages, information and approvals.
- Recommend community and charitable sponsorship opportunities, including funding levels and participation requirements.
- Report on a regular basis to Hydro One leadership team, and the Board of Directors, on the Community Citizenship Program and related initiatives.
- Represent Hydro One and its subsidiaries to external audiences and stakeholders associated with the Community Citizenship program, and with the charitable community at large.
- Recommend methods to enhance two-way links with Hydro One’s charitable and sponsorship stakeholders.
- Provide advice and guidance to subsidiary and line organizations with regard to Community Citizenship participation.
- Communications as it relates to the Community Citizenship program and related initiatives, including media relations, publicity and advertising.
- Accountability for the outputs of others:
- set the appropriate context for team (i.e. corporate strategies and policies, accountabilities, tasks, budget and programs, compliance and performance targets, expectations for continuous improvement, etc.)
- set an effective framework of policies and procedures for the work of the unit
- know and ensure own and team’s compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements, and all corporate policies and procedures, and generally accepted practices relating to the work of the unit
- establish a two-way working relationship with direct reports to solicit their views on conditions and potential changes effecting their work, and continuous improvement opportunities
Providing leadership to direct reports, so that they collaborate competently, and with full commitment, with each other in pursuing the goals set:
- translate the corporate goals and objectives into a direction which guides the work of the unit
- communicate that direction to all staff
- define specific tasks for direct reports which are required to achieve desired results and/or to accommodate changes required within the business operations
- communicate expectations regarding the collateral relationship among direct reports
Providing a safe and healthy work environment:
- provide direct reports with appropriate knowledge, skills, information, work procedures and equipment to facilitate responsible behaviour which will protect their safety and contribute to their health
- provide a work environment and facilities where health and safety incidents are minimized
- provide a work environment that supports and values diversity, and is free from harassment
- know and ensure direct reports comply with all legal and regulatory requirements, corporate policies and procedures, and generally accepted practices relating to their work
Demonstrating stewardship of the assets and resources:
- ensure every reasonable precaution is taken for the protection of the team, the environment and the assets
- provide for security of human and physical resources, including information
- Completed post-secondary, preferably in a related field OR a combination of equivalent professional experience and training
- Additional certifications in not-for-profit, corporate social responsibility and fundraising an asset
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience in a related field.
- Excellent strategic planning, organizational, problem solving and project management skills.
- Strong ability to build relationships and consensus with senior leaders executives, colleagues and internal partners.
- Track record of creating and scaling programs.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and prioritize constantly evolving workload and priorities.
- Able to manage and monitor a budget.
- Proven success in developing, leading and implementing an internal communications program at a large company.
- Strong understanding of strategic communications.
- Excellent leadership skills and proven track record at leading teams.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: December 21, 2020
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.