Date: Sep 14, 2021
Location: Waterloo, CA
Company: Wilfrid Laurier University
Department: Information and Comm. Technologies
Job Type: Continuing
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time (>=1249 hrs/year)
Reports to: Director, ICT Enterprise Solutions
Employee Group: Management
Application Deadline: September 27, 2021
Requisition ID: 1328
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to Indigenization and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, Laurier’s thriving community has a place for everyone.
Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as locations in Kitchener and Toronto. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
All Laurier employees and students are required to comply with the University’s Covid-19 mandatory vaccination policy. Prior to attending Laurier’s campuses in-person, you must provide proof of your vaccination status. If you are not fully vaccinated and do not have an approved exemption based on medical/disability or religious beliefs/creed grounds, you will be expected to receive your second dose of the vaccine by no later than October 8, 2021. Prior to becoming fully vaccinated, you will be required to participate in and comply with the University’s rapid testing program and follow all recommended additional health and safety protocols. Details about the mandatory vaccination requirements can be found on Laurier’s website at https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2021/aug/laurier-to-require-proof-of-vaccination-next-steps-for-students-and-employees.html.
The Manager, ICT Enterprise Application Support is responsible for providing second level support for all enterprise applications, web properties, and ancillary systems at Laurier. Duties involve managing a blended team who are responsible for collaborating with clients and internal employees to solve technical problems with both vendor-based and internally developed applications. The second level support team will consist of systems analysts, the Oracle support team, and others as necessary.
The role reports to the Director, ICT Enterprise Solutions. In this role, the manager will provide technical and operational leadership to the team ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction through responsiveness, problem resolution, and analysis. The typical day will include process definition and improvement, queue management, staff development, guiding the monitoring and operations of the core databases supporting all enterprise applications, and close collaboration with other ICT teams to ensure success for our customers.
In this role, the incumbent has a strong enthusiasm to lead and be part of a team dedicated to providing exceptional customer support. This role manages customer escalations with grace and integrity; has a clear understanding of metrics to measure and report on success and customer satisfaction, communicates ideas and information in a format understandable by the customer.
The incumbent provides professional and technical expertise as well as organizing, planning, budgeting, developing, and directing these areas of responsibility. The Manager, ICT Enterprise Application Support will work closely with the Manager, ICT Enterprise Application Development, and is responsible for cultivating strong relationships with ICT and partner stakeholders, as well as participating in and implementing strategic IT planning. The incumbent will participate on multi-campus university-wide coordinating groups responsible for alignment of strategic direction and policy.
This position has a university-wide mandate and is based at the Waterloo Campus. The incumbent provides leadership in a multi-campus environment, requiring regular interaction, communication and collaboration with staff and stakeholders at all campuses and external partners.
Responsible for supporting and maintaining enterprise ICT software solutions for the faculty, staff and student community at the university. Systems and services will normally fall into one of the following categories (but not limited to):
- Student Enrolment Services Management- systems that hold student personal and academic records, admission and graduation information;
- Teaching and Learning- solutions that are used by all or some of the teaching and learning units and faculties at the university;
- Development and Alumni Relations – ERP solutions and integration points;
- Finance and Administration- solutions that support the back office administrative functions of the university, such as Human Resources and Finance;
- Web properties supporting the business of the university;
- Solutions and technologies used in supporting ancillary operations.
- Provide leadership, mentoring, motivation, and direction to the ICT Enterprise Application Support Team;
- Be familiar with and ensure compliance with applicable employment policies, practices, and legislation;
- Manage and monitor all activities of the enterprise application and Oracle support team, including prioritization, assignment and resource allocation;
- Participate in the recruitment, selection, hiring and training of new hires as necessary;
- Complete performance evaluations, and training and career development plans;
- Manage the preparation and ensure the timely distribution of communications to all relevant stakeholder groups;
- Serves as representative for ICT on a variety of committees, project teams and working groups;
- Collaborate with members of the ICT Leadership Team and other functional partners to ensure effective and efficient operation of the department;
- May require occasional supervision of various project team members from other units to meet the ongoing support needs.
- Provide guidance and direction to the Oracle Database Administrators to ensure the Oracle environment is maximized for performance and integrity.
- Support the ongoing implementation processes related to releases delivered by the ICT Enterprise Applications Development Team.
ICT Service Management
- Establish, implement and ensure compliance with appropriate software development and maintenance standards and University policies and practices;
- Apply ITIL Service Management standards in managing the delivery of solutions to incidents and problems reported with enterprise applications;
- Develop enterprise application support operating procedures; recognize recurring problems and recommend system modifications to reduce incident reports; prepare performance reports.
- Manage the DBA’s to deliver quality service to their internal ICT customer, and in collaboration with other ICT teams.
- Coordinate with the Manager ICT Service Desk & Technical Support, Infrastructure, and Manager, ICT Enterprise Application Development to support service levels and customer experience.
- As a member of the broader university-wide ICT Leadership group, consults with and contributes to the university wide ICT strategic direction and policies, and helps ensure that it is in alignment with the University mission and vision;
- In alignment with University ICT strategic direction and policies, develops Campus specific operating strategies, policies, and procedures to meet local operating conditions;
- Ensure that second level support requests escalated from ICT Service Desk are properly addressed by the team;
- Given the confidential nature of information held within these systems, establish and monitor system security policies and procedures to ensure as secure an environment as possible;
- Develops and implements appropriate procedures, processes, controls, key performance indicators and standards to ensure that ICT operations evolves and improves over time.
- Manage customer dissatisfaction issues and proactively seek ways to improve customer satisfaction.
- Know our customers, building relationships to thoroughly understanding their needs, operations and objectives.
- Regularly report critical support metrics and KPIs.
ICT Application Support Management
- Plan, organize and co-ordinate application support of the university enterprise applications;
- Work with the CIO, ICT Directors, other senior management and end-user groups to ensure that the systems in use and in development are aligned with the strategic goals of the university;
- Consults with faculty, staff and students in order to maintain solutions to meet with needs of the university, and meet or exceed agreed-upon service levels;
- Responsible for representing the university at an executive level when dealing with other universities and most major vendors of hardware and software;
- Fosters business relationships and partnerships with information and communication technology providers and internal stakeholder groups;
- Work with a funding model that includes base operating funding as well as variable fee-for service models.
- Coordinate improvement activities within the department by benchmarking, analyzing key performance indicators and developing and executing target improvement projects.
- Maintain a highly enjoyable working environment.
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business, Information Systems, or a closely related field.
- Five years managerial or supervisor responsibilities.
- Minimum of three years of professional work experience in a computer-related field as a senior systems analyst or database administrator.
- Experience in Escalation and Resolution Management.
- Knowledge of JIRA, itSM and ITIL.
- Familiarity with ERP systems, software integration, RDBMS, web development frameworks and tools.
- Familiarity with leading agile teams and practices.
- Expertise in building and improving operational processes and customer experience.
- Positive, energetic presence with a team-player mindset.
- Sophisticated problem solving and prioritizing abilities in a multi-task environment.
- Proven ability to work under deadlines and manage changing priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and management.
- Financial acumen and experience with building and managing budgets.
Position Grade: MG-2C
Rate of Pay: $ 85,689 – $107,111
Hours of Work:
This is a full-time, continuing position. The normal hours of work are 8:30AM-4:30PM. Monday to Friday.