Manager RC GBM Surveillance : 000081U9
Employment Type: Regular
Reporting to the AVP and Team Lead, Surveillance, the Manager RC GBM is responsible for supporting the implementation of Regulatory Compliance for GBM. The primary purpose of the role is to undertake ongoing RC surveillance activities, in relation to GBM transactional and communication flow, in accordance with internal control and local regulatory requirements.
Impact on the Business
- Execution of institutional surveillance reviews encompassing RC oversight, including, but not limited to, market conduct surveillance (such as insider trading, market manipulation, collusive activity, disclosure of confidential information), e-communication surveillance and other 2nd line of defense activities.
- Identification of Regulatory Compliance changes and potential impacts on GBM in Canada.
- Implementation of Global Standards and strategic policies which ensure GBM’s exposure to current risks and emerging arising risk is managed appropriately.
- Works closely with Financial Intelligence Unit and Business Financial Intelligence Units to manage Risk and Compliance matters in Canada.
- Assist with the Compliance Risk Assessment process across the business lines on an ongoing basis and obtain business sign-off.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Liaise with relevant stakeholder within GBM and other Global Business and Functional teams to provide expertise and support on all RC related matters in the context of the assigned responsibilities.
- Ensure the appropriate timely and relevant risk information is provided to GBM management, Risk Management Committee and other relevant Risk Committees.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Strong communication and working relationship with GBM business partners, other Risk Disciplines, Functions and Global Businesses to ensure implementation of new disciplines.
- Share best practices with other business lines and other regions.
- Take personal initiative to develop Personal Development Plans.
- Ensure development activities are a core priority and take reasonable time for learning and developmental activities.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Support implementing the aligning of the GBM operating practices with changes in Global Regulatory Compliance Standards
- Resolve any/all identified issues promptly, and escalate concerns to management as appropriate to ensure timely awareness of any material concerns.
- Maintain and observe all HSBC control standards and implement and observe the Group Compliance Policy, including the timely implementation of recommendations made by internal/external auditors and external regulators.
- Maintain awareness of operational risk within assigned portfolio and minimize the likelihood of it occurring including its identification, assessment, mitigation and control, loss identification and reporting.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable reputational risks.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- GBM is an extremely diverse business and is facing an increasingly regulated and complex global environment with often little consistency between laws and regulations in different jurisdictions and regulators taking a far more aggressive approach in ensuring local compliance with their requirements and imposing increasingly stringent sanctions for breaches.
- In order to effectively manage change in a volatile environment, the jobholder is required to have a good understanding of business segments, regulatory and industry issues, as well as the competitive landscape. The incumbent will be required to stay abreast of the rapidly changing regulatory environment as it relates to RC and the more stringent regulatory interface and intervention across multiple jurisdictions, which is complicated further given the dynamic nature and differing pace of change.
- The job holder will report to the Sr Mgr RC GBM Surveillance Lead and will have accountability for ongoing RC surveillance activities within GBM Canada Regulatory Compliance.
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring. Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant processes/procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators. This will also be achieved by liaising with relevant internal and external Compliance peers about new business initiatives and best practices at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in Compliance, Legal and/or the Global Functions or HTS businesses
- Industry related continuing education, including but not limited to CAMS and the Canadian Securities Course
- Attention to detail
- Strong analytical ability
- Strong IT skills advantageous, especially in Excel
- Knowledge of GBM businesses and products preferred, in particular Fixed Income products
- Ability to maintain control, direction and motivation in an ever-changing environment
- Strong relationship management skills with the ability to manage & engage multiple stakeholders, meet their expectations , negotiate in situations of conflicting interests and influence key decision makers in a positive manner
- Strong communication and influencing skills – both verbal and written
- Operates effectively across cultures and in multi-cultural diverse work environments
- Resourceful – ability to leverage resources available to achieve goals
- Ability to understand and implement Group risk management policies
Job Field : Risk Management
Primary Location : North America-Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Schedule : Full-time Shift : Day Job
Type of Vacancy : Country vacancy
Job Posting : 07-Dec-2016, 09:56:53 Unposting Date : 16-Dec-2016, 23:59:00