EARLYON CHILDERN’S INDIGENOUS LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR/TEACHER
The Native Canadian Centre of Toronto is dedicated
to helping all of our relations on their journey
The Native Canadian Centre of Toronto (NCCT) is a non-profit, charitable organization located in the heart of downtown Toronto. The NCCT offers a wide range of Indigenous programs and services based on Indigenous cultural traditions and teachings.
I. Job Titles: Mohawk Language Instructor
II. Employment Term & Work Hours: full time 40 hours per week, flexibility to work weekends.
III. Department: EarlyON Program
IV. Direct Report: EarlyON Program Manager
V . Job Purpose: The Indigenous Cultural Language Child and Family Program is currently providing language learning opportunities in Mohawk. This program supports families and their children (0 to 6 years old) to become familiar with their own language by infusing culture into the teaching modules, lesson planning, teaching materials and aids. We focus not only on developing language skills but also on instilling confidence and a stronger connection to Mohawk culture.
VI. Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully you must be functionally able to speak the language. The Language Instructor Coordinator is trained in ECE best practices which will be the basis of the teaching materials, modules and learning support resources and aids that you will work with.
The list of duties is as follows:
- Teach children and their parents/caregivers at GTA Toronto Public Library. EarlyON’s, Head Start and TDSB daycare locations
- Follow prescribed curriculum development and lesson planning
- Deliver dynamic and effective interactive play lessons to children aged 0 to 6 years of age
- Assist and support the resource development and implementation of the curriculum
- Attend course sessions to become a qualified Early Childhood Educators if applicable
- Must be willing to sing, dance and be silly to promote language learning
- Commitment to learn and use an Indigenous language reflective of NCCT community
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of Mohawk cultural and language comprehension
- Experience working with children between the ages of 0-6 years and families
- Experience in creative language resource development
- Excellent verbal communication in a teaching environment
- Ability to motivate language learning
- MUST HAVE immunization records up to date as well as a medical completed prior to employment as per TDSB requirements
- MUST PASS a Criminal Reference Check in advance of employment start date
VIII. Working Conditions: Special working conditions may consist of working evenings and weekends, working outdoors and at various GTA locations.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute positively to the implementation of the NCCT’s vision and mission, operate in a collaborative team setting and maintain high and professional productivity levels and quality of service.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Although preference will be given to Indigenous applicants (First Nations, Metis and Inuit), all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
If this position interests you, please submit your resume and a cover letter to:
Human Resources Specialist
Position Open until filled
NCCT – EarlyON Department: Mohawk Language Instructor
The Native Canadian Centre of Toronto is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free selection process and work environment. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, please advise our HR representative at [email protected] the accommodation measures required. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.