Network Management Officer (Contract Specialist)
Date: Jan 4, 2021
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
40488 – Toronto – Regular – Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
- Support the Manager of Contract Management in effectively planning, preparing, monitoring and controlling the execution of outsourcing projects within Project Delivery business unit.
- Lead and coordinate the development of RFP, tendering document, and contract governance in accordance to Hydro One established processes and in line with industry standard.
- Liaise with a variety of groups within the Company (e.g. Asset Management, Engineering, Project Control, Supply Chain, Environmental and Legal Services) on several aspects of the outsourcing program, including change proposals, business plan, budget, business case approvals, benchmarking, audits, contract disputes) in relation to successful Contracts Execution.
- Support the establishment of an effective framework of governance, process & future development and continuous improvement.
- Conduct operations research, technical/economic/environmental/business/regulatory impact assessments, and other specialized technical/business studies to determine transmission/distribution customer/system needs; analyze problems, develop strategies, alternatives and preferred solution; and facilitate delivery of solution through suppliers and service providers.
- Receive assignment from supervisor in broad terms on specific problems related to assigned area of work.
- Research available resources and contacts and, propose effective recommendations to improve performance.
- Recognize areas requiring action to avoid problems.
- Work with Service Providers to ensure capabilities to perform required works, negotiate contracts and performance initiatives, monitor and redirect work as required, and provide and evaluation of the contracting process for continuous improvement.
- Participate in the development, definition and preparation of projects and programs, processes, technical/operational/business standards, procedures or methods, including risk management and costing, related to the management of transmission/distribution assets.
- Provide guidance by analyzing the Owner’s requirements and recommending the sourcing and costing model for all contract projects/programs, and working with other interested groups in the implementation of recommendations.
- Be responsible for the preparation of contract specifications, project specific TORs, awards and provide necessary technical direction to service providers.
- Promote document consistency, acceptance to corporate proposals and generally work to alleviate fears, overcome resistance and otherwise contribute towards securing, protecting and advancing objectives.
- Liaise with other internal work groups, divisions and outside interests to ensure full alignment with project contract requirements.
- Review project planning specifications and put forward recommendations in relation to project execution strategies.
- Monitor, control and redirect major programs and complex projects during the planning and execution phases.
- Co-ordinate activities with Service Providers and stakeholders.
- Resolve issues through negotiation with the Service Provider and customer.
- Prepare comprehensive reports and specifications, and present recommendations to resolve issues, producing necessary documentation, as necessary.
- Participate in the preparation of business cases for the management of transmission/distribution assets.
- Monitor service provider performance, provide redirection as required, and authorize payment.
- Represent the unit on discussions and negotiation with customers, stakeholders and suppliers.
- Be a technical resource and consultant on transmission/distribution asset management matters.
- Contribute to the development of the business plan and regulatory submissions.
- Maintain an awareness of advancing technology developments in business/transmission/distribution equipment and systems.
- Provide technical guidance to others as required, assist in resolution of work problems and train new staff in job responsibilities.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in the field of Contract Management
- Work experience in energy field, utilities, and transmission and distribution industry.
- Strong vendor’s management skills.
- Consistently seeks innovative ways to increase efficiency and cost saving.
- Experience working with a variety of stakeholders including: management, vendors, and other LoBs.
- Experience working in a unionized environment would be an asset.
- Requires knowledge of engineering science and business administration of construction project management, electrical power systems, equipment and operations relating to transmission/distribution assets, customer and public relations, contract management, and regulatory affairs related to the Ontario Electricity Market.
- Experience with Supply Chain functionality and vendor management would be an asset.
- Requires knowledge of technical writing for the preparation of contract documents, scopes of work, technical project requirements, presentations and technical reports and specifications.
- Requires knowledge of economics to carry out economic evaluations and to compare alternatives and assess results.
- Requires experience in managing complex projects.
- Requires an excellent knowledge of English to communicate effectively with others and prepare technical reports.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the completion of 4 years of University training (Grade XII plus 5 years) or equivalent experience.
- Certificates/degrees in Law, Contracts, Supply Chain, BA, Project Management would be an asset.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: January 18, 2021