As a People Services Consultant, you will report to the Program Manager, and work within a team to coordinate workforce development activities within Transportation Services Division. This will involve working with various internal support staff to enhance Divisional performance on maintaining the complement, as well as implementing a number of projects to support succession planning, talent development and employee engagement. The two roles of People Services Consultant in the Transportation Services Division will differ slightly from each other. The role of one People Services Consultant will be to primarily work on Training & Talent Development for the Division, while the other People Services Consultant will focus mainly on Staffing coordination. Both may be expected to participate in several HR Events and projects.
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies regarding program specific requirements.
- Coordinates assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance and continuous learning.
- Conducts research into assigned area ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Ensures that the project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Provides leadership in the effective use of consulting concepts, models, analytic frameworks, technologies and tools.
- Develops functions in collaboration with the City’s human resources unit including recruitment, labour relations, organizational change, complement management, training, succession planning.
- Coordinates strategic direction on the analysis of human resources issues, short and long term planning, and the development of related policies and procedures.
- Ensures the systematic and timely gathering, aggregation, and analysis of labour market intelligence on a diverse range of staffing requirements for current and future implications to serve as a basis for resource strategy options and plans.
- Develops innovative ways to meet the resource capacity requirements that attracts and retains the best professionals and talent with the right skills, experiences, and competencies in the right jobs at the right time.
- Provides strategic advice and recommendations on management and staff development and training plans that comprehend appropriate fiscal, human and physical resources required to effect training delivery support.
- Develops and implements communication strategies, designs, customizes and delivers staff development programs.
- Provides a full range of organization development, consultation and facilitation services to support training and organizational development initiatives.
- Ensures that corporate policy and division principles are reflected in training and organization development strategies and programs.
- Develops and maintains contact with other organization development professionals and is familiar with current theory and practice in the field.
- Identifies development needs and trends in the organization, recommends and implements a variety of programs and initiatives.
- Liaises with a variety of colleagues and clients to identify needs and conduct gap analysis.
- Assists in the design, re-engineering and facilitation of policies, procedures and processes to support high quality service, continuous improvement and service equity.
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the position combined with relevant professional experience and affiliations, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experienced project manager – from inception/development to execution and evaluation.
- Experience in preparing comprehensive reports and developing presentation materials on various topics, utilizing a variety of software such as Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of Cluster B Staffing Approvals Process, and the ability to interpret and analyze SAP complement management reports.
- General knowledge of legislation and policies affecting the human resources development of a diverse workforce in a unionized environment.
- Proven and developed consultation skills and the ability to work at all levels of the organization in assessing organizational needs and requirements and in developing overall training needs and/or development programs, human relations skills and the ability to handle matters of a confidential/sensitive nature as it relates to management and unionized employees.
- Ability to work effectively as a resource to management and staff in a diverse, multi-site Division.
- Excellent business writing skills, critical thinking, judgement and political expertise to facilitate consensus and persuade/negotiate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Comprehensive knowledge of workforce planning and practices.
- Knowledge of City of Toronto’s Corporate Learning tools (i.e. ELI) and the ability to gather information, identify gaps and create a training strategy.
- Ability to coordinate the staffing paperwork approvals process and oversee all staffing processes for the Division (i.e. transfers, Expressions of Interest, Acting Assignments, etc.) and work closely with the Workforce Associate
- Ability to take on Human Resources projects such as recruitment events, “StreetsTO Awards” and various other employment engagement activities
- Computer savvy, especially with Social Media and employee engagement/communication.
- A Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designation would be an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at [email protected] , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.