- Coordinates urban design projects, identifies and analyzes problems/opportunities in the public environment and develops and implements design proposals and solutions, including the preparation of urban design drawings, sections, perspectives, models, etc.
- Consults with interested parties, including City Departments, elected representatives, and affected public, on proposed projects
- Negotiates with developers and their consultants to develop proposed sites, acceptable built form solutions, and public amenities as part of development projects
- Represents the Division at meetings and committees
- Acts as an expert witness at the Ontario Municipal Board
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in landscape architecture, architecture, urban design or a related discipline pertinent to the job function, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in urban design, particularly in design and implementation of streetscape projects and civic improvements on public lands.
- Considerable experience using design industry standard software applications such as; Microstation, AutoCAD and Adobe (illustrator and Photoshop) for the production and analysis of streetscape working drawings.
- Considerable experience using standard office desktop software for creating documents, presentations calculations, research and communications such as, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Considerable experience in assignments demanding critical judgement and analytical thinking.
- Experience in budgeting and contract administration, tracking and scheduling.
You must also have:
- Proven ability to balance political, community and other stakeholder interests in the conceptual development, detailed design, construction and maintenance of capital projects.
- Familiarity with planning policies and civic procedures concerning the design of public places.
- Highly developed technical (analytical, design, graphic, verbal and written communication) skills relating to design and construction of streetscape projects.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to present complex information to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain solid internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrated proficiency in conflict resolution in complex, multi-stakeholder situations.
- Demonstrated superior ability to deal with the community, Divisions, public and private agencies, developers and consultants.
- Ability to travel city wide and perform site inspections.
- Knowledge of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and other regulations/legislation that apply to the job duties.
- Professional registration or the eligibility for registration in landscape architecture or architecture or by a related certified provincial organization would be considered an asset.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.