Department: Student and Ancillary Services
Job Type: Limited Term
Full-time/Part-time: Full Time (>=1249 hrs/year)
Reports to: Manager, Distribution, Mail & Brantford Retail
Employee Group: PAG
Application Deadline: June 14, 2021
Requisition ID: 1426
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to Indigenization and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, Laurier’s thriving community has a place for everyone.
Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as locations in Kitchener and Toronto. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
This position is accountable to the Manager, Distribution, Mail and Brantford Retail Services and is a multi-department position with the aims and objectives of support Wilfrid Laurier University students, faculty, and staff. The position is responsible for assisting with daily tasks within our two Brantford retail stores and assisting with campus mail services. The Sales Support and Merchandising Assistant, Brantford Campus aims to support the campus and customers by providing various services needed in a University community. This position is based at the Brantford Campus.
- Handles and facilitates cash, completes banking deposits;
- Processes daily sales and web orders using POS for cash, credit, debit, internal transactions and walk-up orders on ShopLaurier;
- Processes refunds for merchandise in accordance with retail policies
- Completes daily opening and closing duties as necessary at the Brantford retail locations;
- Handles customer inquiries and complaints in person, by telephone and e-mail, and refers complaints to Supervisor when necessary. Displays stock and labeling merchandise, setting up displays, maintaining stock and replenishing, tracking inventory levels of merchandize and store supplies;
- Places follow-up inquires with textbook publishers determine estimated time of arrival;
- Assists Supervisor, Stedman Community Bookstore with ordering course materials
- Counts and records items annually;
- Ensures stores are kept clean, organized, and presentable;
- Acts as back-up for student staff during illness or absences ;
- Taking and receiving special orders from customers and communicates with internal buyers to receive desired products;
- Maintains security of goods in the storage areas in accordance with loss prevention policies and procedures;
- Responds to customer requests through the following e-mail accounts; [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]
- Communicates with Waterloo counterparts for stock requests
- Assists Supervisor, Stedman Community Bookstore with student scheduling
- Supports Supervisor, Stedman Community Bookstore with campus events, such as Convocation, Buyback, Headstarts, Toast to the Class events, etc.
- Places re-orders of confectionary items under the direction of the Supervisor, Stedman Community Bookstore
- Assists Supervisor, Stedman Community Bookstore, with seasonal student staff training and hiring.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completes various print jobs and assists customers with print-related questions;
- Assists with the printing of course materials for Bookstore Raincheck orders;
- Operates print copiers or digital production copiers and has sound knowledge of equipment and best practices;
- Provides excellent customer service and completes print jobs as requested through customer USB keys, emails, original copies, scanning documents, binding finishes, and WebPrint system;
- Ensures print jobs are being completed with accuracy and with an attention to detail;
- Monitors print and technical equipment and creates service calls when needed;
- Maintains safe operation of printers, computers, and other print store equipment;
- Other duties as assigned.
- One year post-secondary with a minimum of 1 year of recent and related work experience;
- Experience in retail and/or printing services preferred;
- Knowledge of various university-related technologies such as ShopLaurier, LORIS, eRatex, WebPrint, and PaperCut is an asset;
- Proven ability to problem-solve and deal with customer concerns and inquires on a daily basis;
- Working knowledge of a Point of Sale system;
- Familiarity with Laurier Brantford and City of Brantford communities – experience dealing with both is an asset;
- Exemplary interpersonal and communication skills, with a penchant for accuracy and attention to detail;
- Proven ability to relate well to a variety of customers and student staff members;
- Proven ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions in a rapidly changing fast-paced environment;
- Capable of moderate lifting on a frequent basis and prolonged standing;
- High energy and a passion for the promotion and attainment of Laurier Brantford retail team goals;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Problem solving skills required to assess situations, multi-task and work independently and as a team;
- Flexible availability required including travelling to and attending regular meetings on the Waterloo Campus
Position Grade: EX-B
Annual Salary: $38 260 – $47 825
Hours of Work: This is a full-time, limited term, leave replacement position up to the duration of 12 months from July 5, 2021 to July 4, 2022.
The normal hours of work are 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM including one hour unpaid lunch. Monday to Friday. Flexibility in hours will be required, including evening and/or weekend work due to potential events being held. When possible, the manager will adjust the work schedule so that no more than 35 hours are worked in a week.
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier’s Employee Success Factors.
Equity, diversity and creating a culture of inclusion are part of Laurier’s core values and central to the Laurier Strategy. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any minority sexual and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives. Candidates from other equity deserving groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Equity & Accessibility. We have strived to make our application process accessible, however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources. Contact information can be found at careers.wlu.ca/content/How-to-Apply-/
Should you be interested in learning more about this opportunity, please visit www.wlu.ca/careers for additional information and the online application system. All applications must be submitted online. Please note, a CV and letter of introduction will be required in electronic form.