Senior Accounting Analyst
Zurich Canada is currently looking for a Senior Accounting Analyst in Toronto, responsible for Regulatory reporting and performing general accounting operations, ensuring that accounting processes and procedures are followed and completed to support and reinforce key business objectives. Will provide support to the AVP, Financial Accounting and Reporting and communicate and document financial statement impacts to management. This role requires an analytical thinker with strong business acumen and technical knowledge.
• Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance and 8 or more years of experience in the Accounting or Finance area
• High School Diploma or Equivalent and 10 or more years of experience in the Accounting or Finance area
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of accounting principles
• Insurance industry experience
• Advanced general ledger transactional experience
• Project management experience
• Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office experience
• Technology experience related to one or more of the following areas: General ledger, financial reporting systems, Business Objects or other query tools
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Analyzes financial statements, ledger accounts and prepares complex spreadsheets, suggest solutions to issues with responsibility for execution and resolution of issues, collaborating with cross functional teams.
• Processes complex transactions and related activities with ability to communicate/document financial statement impacts to management.
• Oversee and coordinate balance sheet reconciliation process in accordance with Group internal control guidelines.
• Supporting various types of general and/or sub-ledger transactions relevant for Group and Regulatory reporting
• Performs complex accounting research and applies complex accounting theory to transactions and communicate to various stakeholders.
• Identifies potential process improvements and efficiencies. Develops and presents action plans for process improvement to management. Focus on innovation, simplification and customer focus.
• Work closely with North America, Group project teams and local finance team in implementation / interpretation of various accounting standards (e.g., IFRS 17 and IFRS 9).
• Manage day to day accounting activities or adhoc tasks including internal controls supporting the internal and external reporting requirement.
• Research best practice and review and analyses detailed business models to support senior management in developing and improving Finance, Accounting & Reporting processes and systems by leading the testing of new solutions relevant to Finance, Accounting & Reporting.
• Act as the technical expert in financial analysis, conducting process reviews and initiating change in order to contribute to continuous improvement of customer service for internal/external customers.
• Deliver training to educate team members and increase awareness of existing or new Finance, Accounting & Reporting policies and procedures to optimize performance and increase compliance within process or product area.
• Extended hours during peak periods, as required.
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.