Senior Claims Counsel
To review, analyze and resolve complex litigated claims specific to Cyber, D&O, E&O, EPL, FI, Fiduciary and Environmental lines, of moderate to high exposure, and to ensure that claims are handled in the most efficient, effective way while delivering exceptional claims service.
• Juris Doctor and 6 or more years of experience in the Attorney area
• Member of the Bar
• Experience in insurance industry claims or underwriting
• Experience with Microsoft Office, CWS, Lexis or Westlaw
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Negotiation skills
• Advanced knowledge of the insurance industry, claims and the insurance legal and regulatory environment
• Analytical skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and adapt to a changing environment
• Experience in a work environment that required collaboration across work groups
• Ability to effectively present information to LOB manager, claimants and customers
Job Accountabilities – Key Accountabilities
Review claim documents and investigate to assess coverages of moderate to high exposure;
- Draft/analyze appropriate coverage position correspondence addressing liability and damages and address coverage with insured, broker, Business Unit, Insurance Tower, mediators and judges as necessary;
- Ensure claim and file management complies with Zurich best practices as well as the insurance regulatory frameworks
- Retain and manage the litigation through external counsel;
- Directly negotiate complex, disputed cases with multiple parties;
- Review contracts, technical documents, etc. to properly assess legal situation and parameters so that effective, legally compliant solutions can be reached;
- Prepare and develop strategy for resolution of complex insurance matters, and ensure that matters are timely and appropriately reserved;
- Attend and participate in multi-party mediations/arbitrations;
- Business Travel, as required
- Extended Hours during Peak Periods, as required
- Pass Applicable Exam/Licensing, as required
- Regular Predictable Attendance
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.