Date: Sep 10, 2021
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
43413 – Toronto – Regular – ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Conduct studies to assist colleagues, team members and clients in defining their information technology requirements to meet recognized business needs. Assess, provide, and support all but the most complex information technology systems and products and related services to fulfill their business needs. The scope of information technology may include hardware, software, and operational processed related to any or all of computers, peripheral equipment, networks, data communications and office equipment. Provide consultative, advisory, training and educational services. Requires supervising technical staff on a limited basis.
- Conduct studies to assist users in defining and documenting functional requirements, data requirements and operational constraints related to potential information technology solutions for simple to medium-complex problems. Define alternative solutions, within Company architectures including options to make or buy and to replace or modify.
- Analyze alternative solutions by identifying and estimating life-cycle costs and by assisting users to identify and quantify benefits. Make effective recommendations to clients to change their business processes and work methods in order to use information technology more effectively. Create pilot or prototype solutions. Prepare recommendations and business-case documentation to support the preferred alternatives. Review recommendations with other stakeholders. Conduct or participate in technical and economic studies requiring expert knowledge related to information technology services, methodologies, techniques, standards and tools. Propose strategies for exploiting new technologies and techniques. For complex problems, assist in the above activities.
- Supply consultative services and specialized expertise in information-technology areas. Assist, and provide guidance to, users and line management, both within and outside of the unit, in the availability and use of information technology. Supply information related to the availability and use of information technology services. Supply specialized expertise in the use of facility software, including compilers, utilities, program libraries, operating-system facilities, data-transfer and Data storage facilities, and database management system facilities. Supply specialized expert advice concerning program and database design and the deployment and utilization of integrated information technology products and related services. Make effective recommendations on associated work methods and budgets. Assist information technology staff and open-shop users in resolving problems related to programming, program design, or production use of programs and data. Develop and maintain standards, procedures, methodologies and tools for information-technology staff. Assure the quality of systems and databases developed within the division. Generally perform these
- activities for complex products.
- Conduct information technology product acquisition activities for products of low to medium impact. Perform market searches. Prepare tendering documents and evaluate vendor submissions. Prepare test plans and review test results for efficiency, effectiveness and compliance with user requirements. Make effective recommendations on the acquisition of new products or product upgrades. Prepare purchase requisitions, contracts and license agreements. Arrange for installation and commissioning of products and provision of related services. Communicate with vendors concerning problems encountered in the use of products or desired enhancements to products. For products of high impact, assist in the above activities. Prepare and maintain test data. Perform evaluation tests. Analyze and report test results and observations.
- Conduct design, development, and implementation activities for simple to medium-complex systems or databases. Construct system models or data models at the conceptual level, defining functional components, processes, data entities and relationships with other systems or databases. Review models with users and other information-technology departments. Recommend the approaches to be followed in design, development, testing and implementation, taking into account the need for interfaces with other systems or databases. Perform high-level design. Estimate processing costs, using simulators where appropriate. Review design with users and other departments. Review test procedures and test results with users in order to verify compliance with user requirements. Assist in the above activities for complex systems, programs, or databases and develop and demonstrate prototype systems or databases. Design data flows and logic flows. Determine level of
- auditing, controls, backup, and security procedures to be applied. Develop test plans and procedures. Design, develop, document and test systems, programs, or databases. Develop operating procedures and arrange for commissioning and implementation in a production environment. Conduct post-implementation reviews with users.
- Maintain simple to complex systems or databases. Maintain library files for software in production use. Advise and assist users concerning the production use of systems, products, or databases. Implement and document enhancements and changes to meet new user needs. Analyze trouble reports and implement corrective actions. Resolve emergency problems under time constraints. Identify latent problems and implement changes to eliminate or bypass them. Assist in the assignment of priorities to maintenance tasks.
- Prepare major written reports and prepare and sign correspondence dealing with technical issues. For simple to medium-complex projects, prepare correspondence on financial issues, commitment of resources, work schedules and proposals. Conduct or participate in planning and review meetings, involving technical staff and line management representing user departments and various information technology departments. Prepare and review specifications, proposals, investigative reports, business case documents, design documents, maintenance documentation, operating instructions and user manuals.
- Administer products, systems, or databases in production. Monitor the effectiveness and efficiency of use of products, systems, or databases in production. Effect, guide, or recommend corrective actions. Manage program libraries, database and file directories, storage and resource utilization. Perform password administration and monitor security violations. Apply corrections to databases or files, which cannot be handled by normal update procedures. Execute security procedures for integrity and recoverability and monitor the integrity of the system or database. Perform archiving procedures and recovery procedures. Identify and effect the resolution of, problems which must be referred to other departments eg, operating-system problems, or database-management-system malfunctions. Generally perform these activities for complex products, systems, or databases.
- Supply training and education for simple to complex products, systems, or databases. Prepare user instructions in the form of written documentation (manuals and on-line user aids) and demonstrate usage. Demonstrate the usage of proposed development end products by means of prototyping or simulation tools. Identify the training needs of user staff and information-technology staff. Define training courses and formulate their content. Prepare training materials. Conduct classroom sessions. Provide individualized instruction and act as a resource person for self-instruction courses.
- Supply technical notes and guidelines on selection, acquisition, migration, usage and application of all but the most complex information technology products and related services. Provide product and product usage and application assistance and problem resolution services.
- Assign work to staff assisting in the work and schedule their activities. Provide guidance in techniques and methods of programming, design, and documentation. Monitor the quality of work performed. Identify the training needs of staff and provide input to line supervisors for the preparation of training plans. Refer human resource matters to supervisor for resolution.
- Within the general context of the job responsibilities, make suggestions to supervisor on how to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
- Perform other duties as required.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2021.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected]. Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: September 27, 2021
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.