Senior Manager Regulation & Risk Analytics : 0000865M
Employment Type: Regular
Identifies, measures, monitors and controls credit risk by developing and overseeing required credit risk projects. Creates and/or revises credit policy, procedures and guidelines to account for changing regulatory, economic and political environments.
Impact on the Business
- Provides expertise in the bank’s Wholesale Credit and Market Risk (WMR) function and Global Business lines for analytic solutions including rating system models, regulatory capital requirement, and stress testing
- Manages the development or validation/monitoring of risk models and implementation of enhancements to ensure relevance and effectiveness of models in response to changes in market condidition, business, and regulatory requirements
- Engages with local regulators and committees at the Group level to secure/maintain regulatory approval for the risk models
- Provides advanced notification to business and stakeholders on model or regulatory changes that may impact RWA, exposure, risk appetites, and/or pricing
Customers / Stakeholders
- Internal stakeholders: WMR, IT, Operations
- Business lines: CMB and GBM
- Senior Management: CRO, COO, local and group risk committees
- Regulator: OSFI (Local), PRA (Group)
Leadership & Teamwork
- Works with senior management to proactively assess and assist the business units in implementing credit risk expert systems that comprehensively address all aspects of credit risk
- Identifies and coordinates changes to company systems and processes to support implementation within a dynamic credit risk environment
- Ensures effective measurement of risk by using valid and accurate data
- Provides guidance and training to developing personnel
- Leads the development or validation/monitoring and implementation of analytical models used in rating HBCA’s wholesale portfolio
- Ensures the risk models are “Fit for Purpose” and effective in determining and managing the risk associated with portfolio growth plans
- Carries out model development/redevelopment, and/or validation/monitoring of all locally implemented models to ensure their effectivenss in assessing risk. In instances when models are not effective, recommends and implements appropriate controls until new models are developed.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Recommends changes to policy, procedures and data analyses to address adverse trends in the bank’s credit risk portfolio brought about by changes in strategic direction and/or political, economic or regulatory factors and determines priorities and distribution of workload to developing personnel. Decisions beyond assigned authority are referred to higher management for approval.
- Develops new policy, procedures, data sources and reporting to ensure risk is identified, measured, monitored and controlled as required in response to new products or markets
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Identifying and understanding economic conditions, regulatory expectations and trends well in advance so that the bank can take informed mitigating actions
- Developing and/or validating/monitoring models against time constraints and a dynamic set of regulatory requirements
- Accurately quantifying the level of risk in situations where information may be limited
- Articulating technical model details to non-technical people in an effective way
- Normal office environment, generally comfortable physical setting, nominal physical demands, frequent use of computers, management of large data files, large volume of reading and writing
- Tight timelines and conflicting priorities need to be managed on an ongoing basis
- Must work closely with other areas to gain appropriate support for development and implementation. Work closely with Group resources to facilitate ongoing monitoring and/or development efforts. Information Technology – work within the bank to translate management needs into user requirements for new and existing systems.
- The Basel Committee is continually developing and adjusting regulatory rules (Basel III) which are being implemented across the globe on different timelines. Basel III is introducing more analytically robust and complicated framework for capital requirement measurement. Group is frequently upgrading both credit and finance systems which require local implementation to meet local regulatory requirements.
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- Ensuring compliance and operational risk controls are in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimizing relations with regulators by effectively addressing any issues
- Ensuring personal and departmental adherence to Risk Management policies and maintaining effective control within the approved risk appetite limits so that all risks are identified, assessed, remediated or escalated through the first and second lines of defense
- Maintaining an effective control environment within specific area of responsibility by adhering to all applicable laws, regulations, Group and local guidelines, policies, procedures and control processes
- Implementing and maintaining effective internal controls to manage all risks, inclusive of, but not limited to, established risk limits, timely reporting and escalation of outdated policies and procedures, emerging risks, control weaknesses, compliance breaches, and operational loss events
- Taking prompt and appropriate action in response to any type of independent review finding, audit, or regulatory review-related matters
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Implements a new operational risk framework.
- Defines and implements second line control monitoring with respect to AIRB Models.
- Builds out a strong compliance structure.
- Works with the business to enhance internal controls (e.g. use of models, collateral management, default identification).
- Ensures effective management of operational risk within the Wholesale Regulatory and Risk Analytics function.
- University degree or equivalent.
- Minimum 7 years proven, progressive and broad-based banking experience including personal and commercial lending experience.
- Thorough understanding of the credit process, branch account management, risk assessment, lending financial analysis, Bank systems and subsidiary functions.
- High-level communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to recognize both internal and external credit risk issues.
- Strong organizational skills, including project management, to coordinate and schedule multiple priorities under tight time constraints.
Job Field : Risk Management
Primary Location : North America-Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Schedule : Full-time Shift : Day Job
Type of Vacancy : Country vacancy
Job Posting : 05-Dec-2016, 11:05:31 Unposting Date : 16-Dec-2016, 23:59:00