Date: Sep 13, 2021
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
43330 – Toronto – Rotation – 1 Year
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
- Performing assigned work under the direction of the Sourcing Category Manager and/or the Sourcing Operations Manager, the Sourcing Category Lead is responsible for leading overall planning, execution and coordinating of assigned high value and high impact categories to manage throughout its lifecycle per the defined category plan.
- In addition to managing one or more categories, this position will also act in a support role to other sourcing category leads to manage one of three core functions across category planning, sourcing and contracts management.
Category Planning Responsibilities
- Lead in the development and maintenance of category profiles and own the overall execution of a high value and high impact categories, as assigned
- Conduct category analysis with particular emphasis on spend analysis and market intelligence activities for high /medium / low categories, as assigned
- Support fact-based analysis and reporting for end-to-end value chain optimization
- Identify relevant external market trends with respect to the industry and/or category
- Lead the analysis of end-to-end value chain costs for respective categories
- Collect, manage and assess relevant external benchmarks in order to assess Hydro One’s performance against those benchmarks
- Collect and manage category / supplier data including spend data segmentation
Sourcing Specialist Responsibilities
- Responsible for the review and adequacy of competitive sources and take corrective action where sources are insufficient. In collaboration with the Operations procurement team, develop and implement a procurement strategy taking into account the marketplace and the needs of the requisitioner and end user
- Responsible for the preparation and review draft and final bid documents (i.e. commercial sourcing reviews, price competition sheets, letter of intent, make awards, purchase orders and instruction noticed) to ensure resolution of any areas of concern or ambiguity, writing the technical specification when necessary
- Establish that acceptable quality program levels are assigned and that clear acceptance criteria exist. Review specifications to ensure purchasing conditions confirm to standards, policies, practices and jurisdictional requirements.
- Resolve areas of conflict whether in commercial, quality or technical areas. Issue requests for quotes and bids and any subsequent addenda
- Responsible for Hydro One Services Company and other (such as AECL) bidder’s list to ensure adequacy of competitive bidding.
- Investigate and assess industries’ ability to meet specific Hydro One supply needs and develop new sources as required.
- Perform a thorough evaluation of companies manufacturing facilities, financial health, safety record, service record, staffing and quality assurance programs, etc. to establish capability, adequacy and experience for specific product lines and services.
- Monitor suppliers’ performance and provide assistance to new suppliers to be recommended for inclusion on future bid lists.
- Investigate unsatisfactory vendor performance and work with supplier to correct the situation, or as a last report, arrange for the removal of the supplier from future bidding. Maintain current records on supplier’s capabilities and performance
- Evaluate incoming bids and quotes for vendor exceptions. In the analysis of bids, consider quality assurance, technical specifications, delivery requirements, commercial variances, and vendor historical performance and capabilities, and other relevant factors.
- Monitor progress and resolve difficulties related to products and services during manufacturing or at site.
- Liaise with requisitioners and Hydro One’s legal, transportation, tax and labour relation’s staff.
- Initiate corrective action that the best meets Hydro One’s company needs.
- Assist in resolving differences of opinion related to contract interpretation.
- Arrange as required pre and post-award meetings with suppliers and inspection to ensure a clear understanding of contractual responsibilities
- Review specifications and statements of work to ensure purchasing conditions conform to standards, policies, practices and jurisdictional requirements
- Accountable to ensure a thorough evaluation of companies manufacturing facilities, financial health, safety record, service record, staffing and quality assurance programs etc. to establish capability, adequacy and experience for specific materials and services.
Contract Management Responsibilities
- Lead in negotiating contracts where no adequate competition exists or where sole source and only acceptable source is in the best interest of Hydro One.
- Prepare funding documents and approve or obtain approvals as required.
- Preparation of various purchase documents such as commercial bid reviews, price competition sheets, letter of intents, FAX awards, purchase orders, and instruction notices. Arrange as required, post-award meetings with suppliers and inspection to ensure a clear understanding of contractual responsibilities
- Administer contracts to ensure contractual obligations are fulfilled, including reviewing claims, progress payments, and escalation claims on contracts to ensure they adhere to the contract conditions including jurisdictional requirements and approve or recommend approval as required.
- Take the lead in resolution of disputes and claims.
- Ensure the necessary funding of approval documents are developed and processed.
- Manage contract compliance (i.e. volume discounts)
- Support category teams on iterations of contracts
- In collaboration with legal, resolve differences of opinions related to contract interpretation.
- Assess vendor performance during the execution of work to ensure contractual requirements are being met and to establish a performance record to be used in the placing of future business. Assess construction and operating reports on performance and update vendor performance databases.
Cross Functional Responsibilities
- With direction from the Sourcing Category Manager, determine upcoming category opportunities and priorities.
- Determine short term tactical and long term strategic approaches
- Engage with cross functional category management teams as needed
- Execute responsibilities with regards to process improvements as directed by the Sourcing Category Manager
- Face off with internal clients to provide customer service across areas of category planning, sourcing and contracts
- Continuously ensure effectiveness of purchasing channels, in alignment with strategies to support the Sourcing Category Manager
- Provide guidance to Operations Procurement teams on technical matters relating to materials and services for their line of business
- Perform other duties as required
- Requires experience to understand the design, regulatory requirements, fabrication, assembly, testing and installation practices in order to assess capabilities of manufacturer’s facilities.
- Requires experience to be familiar with quality management systems and the practices, routines and standards followed within the commercial and industrial field, together with experience in test and inspection of electrical, electronic, computer, and mechanical, civil or structural equipment, to understand the various problems and remedial procedures required, and to assist in the preparation of inspection procedures.
- Requires experience of inspection to specification, production planning and scheduling, QA, designing, and dealing with people on controversial matters.
- Requires experience in cost estimating to negotiate claims and contract extras with vendors.
- Requires commercial experience to understand contracts, contract law, business administration, and the problems arising when there are limited, qualified vendors or no past precedent for technical and contractual administration.
- Requires experience to understand the procedures and practices of the department and the interrelationships with other requisitioning departments throughout the Company.
- A period of over 8 years and up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2021.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected]. Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: September 27, 2021
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.