Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Supervisor, Budgets and Accounting within our Fleet Services Division.
- To supervise all duties related to the divisional operating and capital budgets; monitors and reports on budget variances throughout the fiscal year and provides accounting support to division and information to clients related to 100% cost charge backs
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements
- Oversees divisional payroll and human resource related functions
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations
- Ensures that costs are as fully recovered as possible by investigating net budget variances to minimize shortfalls; performs detailed analysis to determine cause of shortfalls/excesses if forecasted/experienced
- Supports front line managers by providing budget and performance information and variance analysis highlighting areas where corrective action is necessary
- Ensures that corporate financial policies are followed by educating staff and monitoring information flowing through the City’s financial system
- Supervises the Accounts Receivable function of the Division
- Collects performance measures and benchmark data for Corporate Financial Internal Reporting, the Ontario Benchmark Initiative and other benchmarking initiatives
- Coordinates divisional training of SAP and M5 Fleet Management applications
- Coordinates and prepares the monthly billing upload to SAP
- Oversees the M5 data correction process and daily interface transactions
- Makes recommendations on divisional workflow policies and information systems to improve operational efficiencies
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job functions combined with relevant experience in a budget, finance and accounting capacity or the equivalent combination of education and/or related experience. A Professional Accounting designation would be an asset.
- Considerable experience in the preparation of capital and operating budgets.
- Considerable experience using SAP and various computer applications including Microsoft Excel and Word. Experience using Microsoft Access would be an asset.
- Considerable experience supervising a large, diverse group of staff to achieve section and divisional goals, including labour relations and performance development.
- Considerable experience in the preparation of variance reports.
- Thorough knowledge of modern accounting techniques and practices including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and administer the process of preparing financial reports.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Strong research, conflict resolution and problem solving skills.
- Well-developed analytical skills.
- Strong ability to effectively lead, train, motivate and supervise staff.
- Effective decision making that promotes and fosters teamwork with the ability to manage change effectively within the mission and priorities of the Division.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is: