Reporting to the Manager, Facilities Management, the Supervisor, Facilities Management is responsible to ensure the safe and proper operation, cleaning and maintenance routines of all assigned City Facilities in accordance with City Maintenance Standards, Legislative Acts and Regulations. This position contributes to establishing and implementing divisional policies and procedures as well as resolving specific operational issues.
Manager Facilities Management
Various Unionized Jobs
External Trades Jobs
399 The West Mall, 1050 Ellesmere and 150 Disco Rd.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Supervises the activities of contracted services including Trades, Life Safety, Cleaning and Pest Control.
- Ensures efficient operation, cleaning and maintenance of all facilities. Administers the supervision, planning, direction, evaluation and implementation of the Preventative Maintenance Program for general repairs and/or replacement of all equipment and systems to ensure uninterrupted service to City facilities.
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Provides input into and administers assigned operating and capital budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Ensures the safe operation, installation, repair and operation of all heating cooling, plumbing electrical systems, life safety systems and architectural/structural systems, disposal of hazardous waste and asbestos management to applicable codes and city standards.
- In consultation with stakeholders, develops, implements and monitors the Preventative Maintenance Program on all building systems including in-house and contracted services and audits and tracks life cycle of building equipment for replacement.
- Ensures that unit activities are in compliance with applicable codes, departmental standards, City Bylaws and that all facilities legislative requirements are met.
- Ensures staff are trained in Health and Safety, City Policies and for specific work requirements in the unit.
- Expedites client work and ensures client satisfaction is met by providing timely cost effective delivery of services.
- Ensures compliance with standards and regulations of the Operating Engineers Act and related codes/regulations (TSSA, ESA, OSHA, building codes etc.).
- Ensures the installation, repair and safe operation of all heating/cooling systems, plumbing, electrical systems.
- Schedules and assigns staff in the utilization and maintenance of all computerized Building Automation and work order Systems.
- Collaborates with other sections to ensure all room set ups, deliveries, waste management, recycling activities and grounds maintenance are performed in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Develops and supervises construction/maintenance projects. Prepares specifications and recommends awards in the tendering of small projects and maintenance contracts.
- Participates as a member of a Building Steering Committee responsible for developing strategies to support the long term sustainability of the facility.
- Supervises asbestos management programs and other OH&S programs related to designated substances.
- Works with staff of Design, Construction & Asset Preservation to ensure capital plans are prioritized to maintain facilities in a state of good repair.
- Conducts site inspection and site visits with contractors.
- Prepares and manages small capital and operational budgets.
- Responsible for payment approvals for work done by contractors.
- Develops, implements, maintains a performance evaluation for contractors and consultants.
- Participates in the identification of major capital projects. Assists Project Managers in project delivery and co-ordination within the Unit.
- Ensures compliance with safety matters under Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Understands and follows Divisional and Corporate procurement policies and procedures.
- Provides 24/7 coverage for onsite response to emergencies.
- Possession of a trade license relevant to the role or post-secondary education related to the responsibilities or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in the management and maintenance of commercial property/ industrial building/ office building /property management or similar environment.
- Considerable experience in leading, coaching, training, mentoring staff, providing work direction and holding people accountable, both in-house and contracted.
- Experience in a unionized environment, with the ability to handle employee and labour relations issues.
- Considerable experience in planning, scheduling and coordinating work activities of staff and contracted professionals.
- Considerable experience working with Mechanical/ Electrical systems, HVAC and BAS systems.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and managing operating and project based budgets.
- Comprehensive knowledge of common building operational policies and various related Acts/codes/standards, i.e. the electrical code, plumbing code, TSSA, Fire Code, Building Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Construction Lien Act and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing preventative maintenance plans.
- Able to plan and organize work with minimum direction.
- Effective decision maker with a track record demonstrating innovation, problem solving and conflict resolution skills, promoting organizational performance and continuous improvement and the ability to promote and foster teamwork.
- Knowledge of SAP Financial System and Microsoft Office Applications.
- Ability to create briefing notes and other documents as required for effective communication.
- Ability to work in a team based environment.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required to support operational requirements.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at [email protected], quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.