Reporting to the Manager, Information & Technology Service Desk, the Supervisor is responsible for supervising the day to day operations of the Service Desk ensuring that the Service Desk either meets or exceeds its service level requirements. The Service Desk Supervisor will be located at the Service Desk working closely with, and supervising, all levels of Service Desk analysts.
In this role you will:
- Implement detailed plans and recommend policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Supervise, motivate and train assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, maintaining high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encouraging innovation in others.
- Supervise the day to day operations of all assigned staff including; scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorize and co-ordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approve salary increments, hear grievances and recommend disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provide input into and administer assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Ensure that Service Desk services are available to all City customers for effective service support. In cases where service is not available, act as the authoritative source for downtimes, resumption of service, etc.
- Provide a central first point of contact for City customers and IT services to deliver consistent customer service support. Deliver high quality support to ensure the critical continuance of City business.
- Supply a continuous and consistent service by monitoring both the initial assessment of all incidents and the resolution of problems at 1st level and/or referral to 2nd level support and other resources, based on service level agreements.
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure that consistent customer service is provided to all clients.
- Develop plans, goals, and objectives to continuously improve the service provided to all clients.
- Monitor service levels by analyzing statistical reports and other performance indicators (e.g. response time, resolution rate, service quality, customer satisfaction) to ensure service levels are met.
- Analyze Service Desk achievements and set priorities when improvement is needed.
- Coordinate support services between various IT support groups within the IT division and other departments to ensure the delivery of effective and consistent services to clients.
- Communicate to all city staff regarding planned I&T activities that may directly affect their day to day business operations (e.g. server maintenance), and emergency situations (e.g. GroupWise post office unavailable, viruses).
- Maintain Service Desk systems such as the call tracking database and call distribution system. Train staff on system tools. Plan for upgrades and ensure availability. Perform maintenance on systems such as database archiving, and reconfiguration of databases.
- Supervise staff including hiring, providing performance feedback, coaching and training staff in the use of Service Desk tools and procedures, and handling disciplinary matters as necessary.
- Set up evaluation mechanisms (such as Statistical goals, Call quality checklist, and Performance feedback to staff) in order to measure service performance to correct deficiencies and improve service to clients.
- Ensure service levels are met by scheduling staff and monitoring staff performance.
- Extensive experience in the provision of information technology service desk technical and operational support services.
- Extensive customer service and problem solving skills including the ability to document and communicate problem resolutions.
- Excellent technical, written and oral communication skills including ability to listen and communicate ideas effectively at all organizational levels.
- Previous experience in supervising staff as well as demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, coach and develop teams.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and document technical and operational procedures.
- Ability to negotiate with external suppliers and organizations.
- Demonstrated experience successfully initiating, planning and implementing change initiatives and project management.
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations, the Collective Agreements and related Labour Legislation, Human Rights Code and Corporate and Divisional Policies.
- Considerable experience working under high service demands and severe time constraints.
- A degree or diploma in a computer/technology field/related discipline or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience with experience based on extensive background working in a technical support service function in a large and diverse business environment heavily dependent on information technology.
- ITIL certification would be an asset.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of occupational health and safety.
Contribute to the vision of “Toronto better served through innovative Information Technology”
As North America’s fourth largest city and Canada’s financial and business capital, the City of Toronto is seeking innovative, proven information technology specialists to join our dynamic team. Help build a best practice IT organization that will be responsive in meeting the needs of our 240+ different lines of business involving more than 20,000 staff at 600+ sites.
Join the Toronto Public Service as a Supervisor Service Desk within our award-winning IT Division, supporting the City programs and services that ultimately serve approximately 2.8 million residents. The diversity of our IT applications, services and infrastructure mirrors the diversity of our citizens. This includes an infrastructure of over 22,300 desktops/notebooks/workstations, 2,100 servers, 1,000 applications and 1 petabyte of data. We are proud to be recognized worldwide for our successful use of IT to attract leading-edge business, build skills, generate economic growth and improve government service delivery. Our talented teams are behind the creation of the Toronto Public Library’s express checkout system, the City’s 3-1-1 Report It Online campaign, and the integration with Canada Post’s ePost Service.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at [email protected], quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.