Surety Claims Counsel
Zurich is seeking an experienced Surety Legal Professional to join a seasoned claims team as a subject matter expert to handle a diverse caseload of construction/contract surety claims.
In this role, you will manage a caseload of moderate to high complexity Surety Claims from start to settlement and resolution within specific authority limits. You will ensure that claims are handled in the most efficient and effective manner to deliver on Zurich’s best practices and customer led commitment. You will have an opportunity to develop strong partnerships that include extensive communications and interactions with principals, brokers and other internal business unit contacts.
• Juris Doctor and 7 or more years of experience in the construction and/or contract legal surety claims
• JD and 7 or more years of legal practice experience in the insurance area
• Must obtain and maintain required adjuster license(s)
• Experience in insurance claims and the insurance legal and regulatory environment
• Negotiation experience
• Customer service experience
- Analytical skills
- Strong math and finance skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Experience collaborating across work groups
- Ability to work independently
- Detail oriented
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills
Job Accountabilities – Key Accountabilities
- Review claim documents, contracts, technical documents, analyze coverage, liability and damages
- Drafting coverage positions and address coverage with insured, broker and business unit
- Ensure that matters are appropriately reserved
- Directing activities of defence counsel
- Participating in mediations, arbitrations and negotiating settlements with multiple parties
- Establish and develop strategy for resolution and direct defense counsel
You must be able to travel approximately 25% to visit project sites or for other business needs that may arise.
A future with Zurich
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 148 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. We are a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. Today, we serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology and insure 90% of the Fortune 500®. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, Zurich strives to provide ongoing career development opportunities and foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers’ expectations. Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich Canadian Holdings Limited. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.