Date: Feb 18, 2021
Location: Orangeville, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
41500 – Orangeville – Regular – Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
- Training Manager in the Forestry and Vehicle Equipment Training section of TDS.
- Assist the Manager of Work Methods and Training (TDS) in strategy development, and ongoing implementation of the management systems and programs related to TDS within Hydro One Networks Inc. This involves developing effective and efficient strategies and programs in the development and delivery of trades, technical, and safety training.
- Manage assigned aspects for TDS for both field operations and head office organizations. Services provided must meet the needs of the business, be of high quality, and delivered in a timely manner.
Through collateral relationships with respect to the Manager of Work Methods and Training , and within context provided by the Manager of Work Methods and Training (i.e. corporate strategies and policies, accountabilities, tasks, budget and programs, compliance and performance targets, expectations for continuous improvement), provide the following:
- Manage and supervise staff engaged in the development and delivery of trades, technical, and safety training products and services.
- Supervise, plan and organize the work, and resource requirements for the section.
- Plan, schedule, organize and assign work to ensure that quality and accuracy of work are maintained and on schedule.
- Determine rotational & temporary staff requirements, establish performance and work objectives.
- Assist staff in the preparation of their personal development plans and assess performance and provide feedback with established corrective action plans.
- Provide leadership through demonstration and response to staff requirements to achieve targets, plans, strategies and quality objectives to deliver service levels.
- Manage trades & technical training delivery for Hydro One including training needs assessments, strategies, ensuring delivery in the most cost effective manner, interacting with clients and training staff on delivery and development of training program.
- Develop evaluation programs for training in conjunction with line managers. Prepare proposals for training and other comprehensive reports.
- Work and lead project teams, clients, technical specialists, suppliers, internal and external consultants, analyze performance problems and training requirements, prepare written documents and reports, and make recommendations for new or revised programs, methods, training manuals, and reference materials.
- Set the standards for all Trades & Technical training courses, conforming to regulatory or industry requirements where appropriate.
- Maintain training course catalogue content, ensuring alignment of all programs.
- Maintain content of the Training Document Repository (TDR) for Hydro One, ensuring all programs are current with their content managed by this system.
- Manage and input training content and records of the Hydro One Learning Management System (HOLMS). Maintain and create new Hydro One Document System (HODS) documents for trades & technical training related activities.
- Develop and maintain ability to assess the technical skills of current and new employees within Hydro One, which are required to perform their job.
- Assist client in performing assessments in order to recognize skill and knowledge deficiencies in employees, recommend training or related solutions, and implement and conduct approved and/or schedule programs. As a consultant to line management, recommend training or other interventions and implement as approved.
- Interact with senior management and customers in Hydro One concerned with the effective capability in trades and/or technical staff.
- Make effective contributions to these groups and influence the process as appropriate to achieve optimal results for Hydro One.
- Where necessary, influence others involved to accept an appropriate course of action in the face of differing viewpoints, objectives and priorities.
- Liaise with external training organizations and take proactive steps to meet the Hydro One current and future needs for high quality training services.
- Negotiate, consult and ensure compliance on qualifications, standards, test procedures, regulations, and apprenticeship programs concerning trades staff, in conjunction with government ministries such as the Ministy of Labour Training and Skills Development (MLTSD), Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA), Ministry of Labour (MOL), Ministry of Transportation (MTO), ensuring optimal results for Hydro One.
- Manage the relationship and be the liaison between Hydro One, Training & Development Services, the Municipal Electrical Association Reciprocal Insurance Exchange (MEARIE), and the MAESD.
- Ensure Hydro One trades and technical training and related activities conform to government regulations including environmental control and worker health and safety regulations as well as directives governing the work within the specified scope of responsibilities.
- Ensure strict adherence to procedures, standing instructions, health and safety rules etc.
- Manage the Hydro One Trades and Technical Training within a set of financial parameters, recommending and implementing cost improvements to move the service to “best in class” competitive cost structures.
- Establish and maintain appropriate resource levels for Training & Development Services programs including tools, space, equipment and materials.
- Where appropriate to suit needs of customers, implement a mobile training program to ensure training is delivered as close to the customer as possible.
- Ensure training facilities are properly developed and maintained, including identifying upgrades and improvements required to meet ongoing needs of customers.
- Secure and execute contracts for external training where it may politically and financially benefit Hydro One, ensuring at the same time that it does not deter from providing best services to Hydro One internal customers. Ensure contracts are in place as required for all training development.
- Make judicious decisions regarding commitment to external training activities.
- Keep current in advances in trades training for ‘Electrical Utility’ type of companies.
- Ensure that Training & Development Services information is properly secured and that proprietary information is managed in accordance with company policy and sound business practices.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Manage the unit and achieve the approved programs and targeted results through:
- Maintaining a team of subordinates who are capable of producing the outputs required.
- Ensure subordinates are able and willing to produce the desired output, and that subordinate supervisors continually improve the processes for achieving the outputs.
- Assess staff capability to do the required work, now and in the future.
- Conduct personal effectiveness reviews of subordinates’ supervisors/specialists to build relationships and trust, and to improve effectiveness.
- Mentor and counsel subordinates-once-removed.
Accountability for the outputs of others:
- Set the appropriate context for subordinates (i.e. corporate strategies and policies, accountabilities, tasks, budget. and Programs, compliance and performance targets, expectations for continuous improvement, etc.)
- Set an effective framework of policies and procedures for the work of the unit.
- Know and ensure own and subordinates’ compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements, and all corporate policies and procedures, and generally accepted practices relating to the work of the unit.
- Establish a two-way working relationship with subordinates to solicit their views on conditions and potential changes effecting their work, and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Requires leadership skills, a broad knowledge of technical and trades training, business management and technical writing skills, to design and develop training programs.
- Requires knowledge of electricity, mechanics, physics, and power systems to fully understand the transmission and distribution of electricity power across the province.
- Requires knowledge of economics, financial concepts, principles and related disciplines including financial analysis, management systems and budget administration to understand the economics of the business process related to the training industry and associated financial measures and processes.
- Requires computer skills to be able to use information technology solutions in the training service.
- Requires proficiency in written and verbal communications to write training material and reports and to interact effectively with students, temporary instructors, consultants, and clients
- Requires experience in a training function and field exposure in the appropriate technical areas to develop expertise in the practical aspects of the various occupations, the related equipment, materials, methods, procedures, safety and other practices. .
- Requires experience to work effectively with external clients, determine training needs, develop appropriate training solution designs and techniques, implement appropriate training responses, assess trainee performance and capabilities and evaluate program cost-effectiveness.
- Requires experience with the Work Protection Code in order to monitor safe, consistent application of the UWPC in training activities.
- Requires experience in contract negotiations and dealing with objections when negotiating and administering service level agreements with both customers and suppliers.
- Requires experience in the operation of external clients (e.g. Municipal Electric Association, Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities, etc).
- Requires experience in delivering customer service and being accountable for customer satisfaction, financial performance, business decisions and results involving the training function.
- Requires experience to understand the company’s policies and practices and applicable federal and provincial regulations.
- Requires supervisory and managerial experience to manage subordinate staff.
Demonstrated Management Skills:
Client –Service Orientation Developing Direct Reports Initiative
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: March 8 2021
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.