Transmission Planning Engineer (Assistent Network Management Eng/Officer)
Date: Dec 14, 2020
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Company: Hydro One Networks Inc
40521 – Toronto – Regular – Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
- Reporting to the Manager – Transmission System Planning
- Participate in teams involving Local Distribution Companies and the IESO along with other stakeholders to facilitate the Regional Planning process throughout Ontario to fulfill Ontario Energy Board mandatory obligations; provide Regional Planning deliverables accurately and in a timely manner; participate in stakeholder meetings
- Conduct planning studies/assessments and prepare reports to develop and recommend preferred solutions to manage capacity and reliability of the transmission system for safe and secure operation
- Perform technical/economic/environmental/business/regulatory impact assessments and other specialized technical/business studies to determine transmission and distribution customer/system needs; analyze problems, develop strategies, alternatives and preferred solution; and facilitate delivery of solution through suppliers and service providers.
- Develop load forecast for planning studies based on sound engineering principles and input from the LDCs, IESO and Hydro One Load Forecast Group
- Develop and coordinate in producing project definition and preparation of projects, programs, processes, standards, and tools related to the management of transmission stations assets.
- Undertake and complete planning studies and risk assessments to support the development and station capital investment plans to replace assets and coordinate activities with customers, service providers and stakeholders to enable successful implementation of station capital investment plans.
- Prepare planning specifications (Scope of Work) for new/modified transmission facilities, new or modified generation connections to the transmission system or new or modified load connections to the transmission system and work with service providers to manage risks and to ensure meeting of approved project schedule and budget.
- Prepare recommendations and business cases for investments in the transmission system or connection to the transmission system for management and regulatory approvals.
- Prepare and/or contribute to business plan and regulatory submissions such as OEB Leave to Construct Applications, Rate Filings and Environmental Assessments
- Develop business plans, budgets and regulatory submissions and ensure reporting systems such as SAP are kept current.
- Monitor, control and redirect major projects, programs and complex projects during the planning, estimating and execution phases.
- Recognize areas requiring study or action, and recommend and participate in programs that should be undertaken to improve performance or to avoid problems.
- Participate (as required) as a representative of the Company before regulatory agencies and on internal and external committees/task forces (e.g. IESO, NERC, NPCC, CSA, CEA etc.) related to transmission planning.
- Liaise with other internal work groups, divisions and outside interests.
- Provide guidance to others as required, assist in resolution of work problems and train new staff in job responsibilities.
- Act as a team leader and multi-discipline task coordinator for assigned projects.
- Maintain an awareness of advancing technology developments related to transmission/distribution assets.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications:
- Completion of 4 years university degree in electrical engineering is considered necessary and a post graduate degree or equivalent post graduate studies in power system analysis is desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of the performance of large interconnected power systems, including the performance characteristics of power system apparatus and equipment including but not limited to transmission station and line assets are recommended.
- Knowledge and understanding of integrated power system planning and operations, including generation and transmission components and their impact on system security.
- Knowledge and understanding of the structure of the Electrical industry in Ontario, the Transmission System Code, IESO market rules, NPCC and NERC criteria
- Familiarity with OEB mandated Regional Infrastructure Planning Process and Transmission System Planning is recommended.
- Familiarity with established reliability standards e.g. NERC, NPCC, IESO and Hydro One operating policies, and procedures is recommended
- Familiarity in analysing complex power systems using sophisticated computer software packages such as PSS/E is required.
- Experience in using power system analysis tools (PSS/E) for conducting power flow, dynamic stability and short circuit studies if recommended. Application of IESO’s Ontario Resource and Transmission Assessment Criteria is recommended.
- Knowledge and understanding of major high voltage station equipment and components, their failure modes and special characteristics is recommended.
- Skilled in the application of PC and web-based programs and databases. Proficiency in computer programming is an asset.
- A minimum of four years of related experience in Planning, Design Engineering or Operating power systems is considered necessary to acquire the necessary qualifications.
- It is desirable that the Candidate would be qualifiable to attain a P.Eng from Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
- Demonstrated team player, good organization and planning skills
- Ability to work in a project environment, under tight deadlines, interfacing with other experts, as well as customers, field staff and the project leader.
- Demonstrated clear and concise communication skills both verbal and written on topics with significant depth and/or complexity
- Ability to break down complex problems and issues into critically important component parts, analyzing the available information and expressing the results of the analysis and solutions with concise clarity.
- Ability to work effectively as a leader or within a multi-functional team, interacting with others to develop co-operative working relationships.
- Willingness to travel to field locations and customer sites.
This job may require periodic reassignments, for development purposes, within the Transmission System.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected]. Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: January 4, 2021