Reporting to the Supervisor, Fleet Maintenance and under the direction of the Automotive Mechanics, and within the regulations as set out by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, the Truck & Coach Automotive Mechanic Apprentice will:
- Work under the direction of a licensed automotive mechanic and acquire knowledge and skills on a variety of automotive vehicles, equipment and components, as set out by the Ontario College of Trades, Truck and Coach Apprentice Technician curriculum.
- Assist with the repair of fluid/power train components, including but not limited to engines, engine components, transmissions, pumps, motors, differentials, and final drives and hydraulics, within the scope of their qualifications.
- Assist with engine tune-ups and overhauls and the maintenance and repair of City vehicles and equipment.
- Utilize a variety of hand and power tools and equipment.
- Operate and relocate vehicles in and out of garage, participate in road tests and responds to road service repairs as directed.
- Ensure that health and safety regulations are adhered to and all obligations are met.
- Utilize the Fleet Management System (M5) to input and maintain accurate records.
- Perform cleaning duties as required.
- Perform other work related assignments.
Your application must describe your qualifications as follows:
1. Applicants must have a grade 12 Technical School graduate diploma or equivalent (with courses in English, Mathematics, Science and Technology) and completed automotive technology in both Grades 11 and 12, or have successfully completed a Truck and Coach pre-apprenticeship or a modified apprenticeship program through a recognized college.
2. Experience repairing trucks or coaches in a commercial or municipal garage setting would be an asset.
3. Possess a valid Ontario Driver’s License, Class G, with an acceptable drivers record as per the MTO policy (non-probationary) with a drivers abstract that demonsrates the ability to obtain a DZ license.
4. Must be eligible to qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits in accordance with Fleet’s Safety Policy.
5. Demonstrated ability to read and interpret service manuals, blueprints, schematics, wiring diagrams, electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manuals (EVTM’s), along with technical bulletins.
6. Must be capable of performing the bonafide job requirements as related to Truck and Coach repair and maintenance.
7. Knowledge of MS Excel and Word along with Fleet operating systems such as Asset Works, M5 or equivalent Fleet operating systems would be an asset.
8. Willing and able to work in various garages, work various shifts including weekends and work
9. Overtime as required and in declared emergency situations, work outside in varying climatic conditions and assist with road service as required to ensure that all Certificate of Qualification requirements are met within the division’s apprenticeship program.
10. Experience working in a computerized system/technological environment.
11. Must achieve a passing mark in an automotive proficiency test as part of the selection process
12. Must be eligible to qualify for the automotive mechanic apprenticeship program.
13. Promote and maintain a team approach.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at Nidah.Hussain@toronot.ca.