Job Title: YOUTH ADDICTIONS & MENTAL HEALTH OUTREACH CASEWORKER
Travel Required: Yes
Position Type: Full Time Permanent
Reports to: Adult CPP Caseworker & Manager
Posting Expires: 10 December 2020
Aboriginal Legal Services (ALS) strengthens the capacity of the Aboriginal community and its citizens to deal with justice issues and provide Aboriginal controlled and culturally based justice alternatives. Our dedicated staff is our most valued resource. Compassionate care, teamwork, professionalism, communication, and respect are the values that set ALS apart.
Duties and responsibilities
- Uniquely approaches the objective of meeting Indigenous youth’s needs through knowledge-based interdisciplinary work, focused on prevention as well as remediation of problems and maintaining a commitment to improving the overall quality of life.
- Promotes improved service delivery by meeting clients where they are and by seeking to improve accessibility, accountability, and coordination among professionals and agencies in service delivery.
- Assist the client who is or may be facing legal issues in navigating the court system while assessing the client’s possible needs and issues.
- Assist the client who is facing legal issues navigate the court system and looks for options for the client that satisfy the court and address healing for the client. These could include providing clients or family members with: information about addiction, mental health, education plans, employment, cultural information programs and events, and other programs.
- Makes appropriate referrals when necessary and develop client treatment plans based on research, clinical experience and client histories.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent interviewing and writing skills.
- Ability to work with a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to work independently and to manage a regular caseload of clients.
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system and programs and services available to Indigenous people in Toronto and surrounding area would be a great asset.
- Valid driving license is required.
To apply to this job posting please submit your cover letter and resume with “YOUTH ADDICTIONS & MENTAL HEALTH OUTREACH CASEWORKER” in the subject line to [email protected] or fax it to (416)408-1568 by no later than 5 pm on Friday December 10th, 2020.
Aboriginal Legal Services
211 Yonge Street, Suite 500
Toronto, Ontario, M5B 1M4