Reporting to the Manager, Plan Review, the Zoning Examiner will examine and approve plans submitted for approval for compliance with the applicable Zoning By-Laws and other By-Laws and regulations of the City of Toronto and other applicable laws for the purposes of issuing building permits.
- Examines, corrects, signs and approves plans and specifications submitted for compliance with the City Zoning By-Laws, related by-laws and regulations, municipal code and other applicable law for all types of buildings and structures within the timeframes specified in the legislation
- Reviews proposals made under the Certificate of Zoning Compliance and Applicable Law program resulting in the issuance of Certificate of Zoning and Applicable Law compliance
- Conducts preliminary plan examination for applications made under the Preliminary Project Review program. Issues notices of non-compliance for zoning and other related Municipal clearances
- Performs mathematical calculations to evaluate land use restrictions such as lot size, density, landscaping, height, setbacks and angular planes, loading and parking requirements
- Notifies owner and/or applicant in writing and/or telephone of status of plan review
- Calculates applicable charges related to building permit applications
- Conducts preliminary plan examinations and advises applicants of required changes, and informs them of Divisional procedure, in order to facilitate the plan review process
- Provides information to Facilities and Real Estate Division for Park Levy determination
- Advises City Staff (building, planning, transportation divisions) regarding procedures and requirements for all permits
- Responds to general inquiries over the phone and/or in person related to City Zoning By-Law and related bylaws
- Liaises with applicants, owners, other divisions, agencies and levels of government
- Meets with City staff to discuss and provide written comments on proposed zoning by-laws and site plans for site plan approval
- Determines which other divisions or agencies are involved in approving applications and forwards plans and obtains their approval
- Reviews specifications and provides written comments on proposed uses to Municipal Licensing and Standard Division, and LLBO; and processes permitted use letters
- Appears and gives evidence in court or the Ontario Municipal Board
- Views documents on file with the Committee of Adjustment to confirm that drawings submitted for permit application are substantially in accordance with those on file with Committee of Adjustment. Checks transcripts when variances are missed to determine, among other things, if there was opposition to the proposal.
- Amends updates and cross references zoning and related by-law texts and maps and maintains records of OMB and City Clerk approval of by-laws
- Performs site inspections to confirm zoning uses, existing parking facilities, etc.
- Provides written comments to Council, Management and other City staff on policies and interpretation of By-laws and regulations
- Prepares examiners’ notices and documents examination details. Inputs and updates divisional data base
- Represents the division at various committees and meetings
- Trains and mentors staff
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience as a zoning plans examiner or equivalent.
- Post secondary degree or diploma in a discipline pertinent to the job function such as architectural technology, science of building design, civil engineering technology, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience reading and interpreting surveys and architectural drawings.
You must also have:
- Ability to read and interpret by-laws, agreements, regulations and other documentation.
- Ability to make complex calculations for various fees and charges, and Zoning By-Law compliance.
- Good knowledge of the City’s Zoning By-Laws and planning principles.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and communicate effectively at all levels of the organization and within a team environment.
- Good verbal and written skills.
Work Location Information:
- vacancy locate at North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge Street
- vacancy locate at Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Drive
- vacancy locate at Etobicoke Civic Centre, 2 Civic Centre Court
- vacancy locate at Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at [email protected], quoting the job ID 2265362 and the job classification title.